Thursday, August 30, 2007

Capri

Capri

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

An island really belonging to the Caribbean, with emerald green blue water, and exotic flowers and vegetation. The island was a wonderfully relaxing and calm place to explore and visit. We went on a very nice day, where the weather was not too hot and there was a cool breeze. Unfortunately this did make the water very choppy, and I called it almost immediately that someone would probably lose their lunch, a prediction which did come true. Part of the people in our group got hit, which for them was an unpleasant way to start the tour of the island. But everyone was really good sports about it, and they cleaned themselves up and put the event behind them so that they could enjoy the rest of the day. I cannot restate enough how awesome everyone on our tour has been. Everyone got to things on time, we never had to wait for stragglers, they were all friendly and sociable, and really just good people. Nothing is worse then having someone in the group complaining and whining the entire day. People that do that just kill the atmosphere and traveling with someone in a group that does bring with them negativity can be a pain, but we were like I said fortunate.
When we got to the island, after the 30 minute boat ride, we got in contact with our tour guide who took us on a bus ride up to Anacapri, or the upper level of the island. How those buses get around those winding turns at the speeds they do is beyond me, but I cannot deny them credit for being able to pull off such a feat.
When we reached the top of the island, we were set free to do what we wanted, so we decided to take a one person chair lift up to the very top of mountainous area to get a better view. The ride up was a little terrifying since there was just a simple flimsy bar to hold you in, but I figured if for some reason my lift broke I could probably tuck and roll for a while, and sustain no major injuries, so I relaxed and tried to enjoy the 12 minute ride to the top.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Reaching the top, we were confronted with an absolutely gorgeous panoramic view of the entire island. The mountains and crashing blue waves against the rocks really made me feel like I was nowhere in Italy, but some place far more tropical. Looking over the edge did shock me somewhat back into reality though, because the fall off was pretty intense (base jumping anyone?) .
After we descended back down with the chair lift we took a leisurely stroll with the guide through some of Anacapri’s streets and then we had a light lunch at a cafĂ© where I had a very bony fish. When lunch was over we took the bus back down to the lower part of Capri, just called Capri where we shopped for a bit (I got a new purse) and then caught a boat ride to tour island and see some of its famous grotto’s. The blue grotto, which is the biggest reason tourists come to Capri, was unavailable to get to since the waves were so choppy, but we did get to see it from the outside. The opening of the grotto is only 80 cm in height and with the waves lapping so hard against the rocks there was definitely no way to get into the grotto.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I was perfectly happy with the boat tour though, it was relaxing and a wonderful way to view the island. We saw the famous Faraglioni rocks, the three big rocks of Capri, and actually passed through the arch of one. We also saw some grotto’s and blue arches on the sides of the cliffs. The entire trip around the island was around an hour, and once we got back to Capri we had had enough shopping so we decided to take the boat back to Sorrento. I swam in the pool for an hour or so and then got ready for dinner at a nice restaurant. It was the last night with some of the people there, making our group really small but I knew I didn’t have much longer either. It’s sad that such a wonderful trip will have to come to a close, but I really feel that I got to walk away with something special. I saw so much, experienced so many things, and met some truly wonderful people. I am so thankful that I had such an experience!
Ciao
Goodbye
Leslie

No comments: