Monday, September 17, 2007

9-13 Koto Friday-and other such adventures







So I have been really really busy, lately and keeping up with the blog has been a little hard as of late, so these last couple of entries aren't going to be as detailed as some of my other entries, just because it has been a couple days.

On Friday we had a special activity, where a Koto player came in and got to teach us a little bit about the beautiful instrument that is the Koto. It is an instrument that anyone who watches samurai films would instantly recognize, for it is often the twangy sounding music that plays during show downs. I thought it was really a beautiful thing to be able to play and listen to, and maybe in the future I will take lessons at JCMU, but as of right now... it's going along the lines of trying to do one thing at a time.

After our Friday activity (which was the Koto) Jenni (roomate) and I went down to the bank to exchange traveler's checks (but not before stopping to see a group of baby kittens that were playing in some of the brushes (don't worry I didn't pet them although I really wanted to). After we got money of course we decided to go gambling, actually that was really spontaneous, in an arcade next to the grocery store. It was the first time I had ever used the slots and I decided to use the Eva wheel to test my lucky. It was actually really annoying because I put in 100 yen and I kept winning. I was sitting for there for like an hour pressing the stupid buttons, and I felt really bad about making Jennifer wait while we really needed to go grocery shopping. I won a bucket of coins which we both used quickly on other games and lost almost immediately. I didn't really know how to ask the girl about how to trade in the tokens... so I just kind of gave them away. Oh well, gambeling's not really my thing.

So after we got grocery's we went back to our place made dinner and then went out with Reagan sensei to tour some area's of Hikone at night all lit up. We went to Hikone castle, and the gardens, which were so peaceful and serene at night. My camera really can't do night shots, but believe me it was beautiful, it was just a very calm and relaxing moment for us all. Some people even participated in a small tea ceremony, which I filmed, but decided not to post. It's dull if you don't really know what's going on.

Anyway I leave you with a beautiful piece I recorded from the Koto player that came and helped teach us! I hope you enjoy.

No comments: