Sunday, October 28, 2007

10-12/13 Homestay






The 12th and 13th I had a weekend homestay with the Ueno family. It was an amazing experience. They treated me very kindly and we did so much. I was lucky enough to stay with them during the time I did, because they lived in Nagahama, and that weekend that had a large festival in the city. Many girls, dressed up in Kimono came and participated in the festival. We also got to see many musical performances.
I list what I did
Friday night
-met the family
-went grocery shopping
-ate with the family
-helped out my homestay Okaasan with some english, had a lengthy conversation
-got ready and went to bed

Saturday
-Woke up early took a shower
-Had another delicious meal
-went into Nagahama city
-did a little shopping
-saw the kid's kimomo festival floats
-went and saw a glass museum (very pretty)
-Ate dinner out at an expensive restaurant (there was like 12 courses)
-went back and watched a little tv and went to bed

Sunday
-woke up for a huge amazing meal again (very full by this point)
-Went to a special shrine with an amazing Kannon statue that is regarded as a national treasure to Japan (it was very interesting, my Okaasan had to give an explanation of it in english soon so I helped her work out what she was going to say)
-Went to Nagahama castle where I got to view the inside which was a gun exhibit and then around 11am I saw an actual gun shooting performance.
-Walked around the city and saw a famous temple (the name escapes me)
-Went through the city (with ice cream) to see all the girls dressed in Kimono
-Saw a lot of musical acts
-went out for an early dinner late lunch
-back to JCMU!

You can see why I chose to list everything, I did alot. Also remember this entire time I'm utilizing my Japanese speaking skills to talk to my family, a once in a life time kind of experience if you know what I mean. It was fun, amazing, suteki!
Ja ne
Leslie


This is Japan's top Shamisen player. We actually got to see her perform!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great experience to live with a Japaneese family for a weekend. The picture on top - Is that the house you lived in or is it the temple? It is beatyful.
Thanks for sharing this with us!
Love,
Agneta in Sweden

Anonymous said...

It's actually right outside there house. They had a big place, and I really had where I stayed my own private little area. I'm sorry also to people that read this and think I suck at english all of a sudden, but it's hard to be speaking japanese all day and then just switch back over. You wouldn't think it would be so tough but it's rough. I reorganize regular english sentences so verbs are closer to the end without even realizing it.
Leslie

Anonymous said...

I understand your problem with switching between languages. You actually use japaneese words too sometimes - but dont worry, I found a great site on the internet where I can find translations :-)

Love,
Agneta in Sweden

Anonymous said...

Hi Leslie! We just got a card from your mom with your blog address so I can now follow your adventures in Japan. I haven't had a chance to read everything, but the pictures are amazing!

Love, Aunt Molly

Anonymous said...

hey leslie it's devon
hi!! sorry i haven't said hi in a while i have been really busy latley my mom broke her foot in hapkido. but she is ALMOST all better she got the cast off today!! but yeah. her and i are good. we might start fans in hapkido. we all miss you we got new floor's in rmac. it is a lot nicer. but that is about it. i miss u very much and can't wait to see you again!!
Devon